Search: Keyword:
 

  Mission Statement  

The mission of the Sylacauga City Schools, in partnership with families and the community, is to prepare graduates who are ready for college, career, and community success.

 

 

  About The School  

Sylacauga High School

Sylacauga High School is situated in the heart of the city of Sylacauga.  The high school was originally established on February 18, 1895, by the Alabama State Legislature as the District Agriculture School and Experiment Station for the 4th District in a converted threestory, four-room hotel across the street from the present location. The school accommodated both male and female boarders, and all the students wore uniforms.  In 1920, the name was changed to the State Secondary Agriculture School, and it became well-known statewide for its academic and athletic endeavors. A new building was constructed in 1923 and the name was changed to its present name, Sylacauga High School when the school system was officially established.  Additions to the original structure were added in 1942 and 1952. Until 1970, SHS served grades 8-12. That year the traditionally black East Highland High School merged with SHS and began serving grades 9-12. In 1974, major renovations were completed, which included the addition of a theater-style auditorium, a modern gymnasium, new science rooms and laboratories, and a media center. A new band room/ career-technical building was built on the campus in 1994.  In 1997, the building was wired for Internet access with fiber-optic cable, which paved the way for the introduction of technology into curriculum. Five years later, the school was rejuvenated with new windows, floor coverings, updated heating and air conditioning systems in the oldest parts of the building, and a state-of-the-art computer lab was built. In 2004, the three career-technical computer labs were fully modernized.   Recently, in fall 2013, the new wing of the school was opened. It houses all of the core subject classes, along with six classrooms for the CTE department and a litchen for the family and consumer sciences classes. In 2015 a new library was built and the "old" gym was redone to vecome known recently as the "new old" gym. Most recently, Legion Stadium and the "new" gym have been reconstructed and finished.

Currently SHS has over 700 students who utilize 50+ classrooms, multiple computer labs, distance learning labs, two gymnasiums, a media center, band room, performing arts auditorium, guidance office, and a multi-purpose used for professional development.

All high school class schedules are based on a four period plan (block schedule) with students taking a maximum of eight courses during the regular academic year. Students are required to have instruction in English, mathematics, science, and social studies each year.  In addition, students must select courses that enable them to earn the required number of Carnegie units for the regular diploma, advanced diploma, career/technical diploma, occupational diploma, or certificate of graduation. SHS expands the learning options available to intellectually gifted and highly motivated students by offering additional opportunities for creative and analytical educational experiences. These opportunities include electives, the advanced placement courses, dual enrollment college credit programs, and distance learning.

Currently there are over 60 staff members icluding teachers, instructional assistants, a Principal, two Assistant Principals, lunch room workers and custodial staff.